Home page Graduates In Memoriam Tribute to Elvis
Photos of Yesteryear 50th Reunion Credits Humes Creed
Links Comments Looking Back Sponsors
55th Reunion Current Events Remembrances PHOTOS OF TODAY

Looking Back page 2     Looking Back Page 3   Looking Back page 4
Looking Back Page 5     Looking Back Page 6


Due to the tremendous response we have had for memories of Humes, we are adding another page to increase the speed in which you can view comments from our classmates.  Enjoy.

The views expressed by those submitting memories to this website are strictly the views of the writer and not that of the website.

    The memories of the following classmates can be found on this page:  Billie Chiles;  Virginia Eddleman;  Peggy Fiance;  Arma Jean Hewlett;  Billie Ann Banks;  Betty Diepholz;  Carol Waldrip;  Tommy Young;  Jo Ann Liberto;  George Klein;  Edwin Leek;  Sidney Mitchell;  Shirley Loskove;  Shirley Slate.

Remembering Billie Chiles-Turner by Shirley Ruleman-Palmer

Billie and I lived a block from each other on Dunlap Street. We played together almost every day when we were 10 and 11.  When we spent the night together we taught ourselves to dance.  I always had to lead since I was taller. When we were at Billieís house, we would beg her brother, Sonny, to teach us new steps.  Then he would tell funny jokes and stories.  When we went to bed, we would giggle for hours.  We had a closeness that was very special and we never got over the sillies.
When we were old enough to ride the bus by ourselves, we would go "uptown" every Saturday. We got off at Bryís Department Store on the north end of Main and ended up on the south end at Goldsmithís.  We always ate lunch at Woolworthís.  We didnít have much money , but we looked at everything in sight, giggling all the way.  It sounds so simple and dull, but it was a big day for us.  We always had a donut from a machine that squeezed the dough from a tube which fell in the grease and cooked while we watched.  Didnít take much to entertain us in those days.
We liked to figure out puzzles and riddles and often called each other to help remember a name, an actor, a particular movie, or a song.
We drifted apart after graduation - she went to college and I started working.  I  married and stayed in Memphis - she  married and moved to Arkansas for a while.  When she moved back to Memphis, we renewed relationship. She was the driving force behind our many class reunions.  She wanted it to be a gathering for fun and fellowship.  As can be expected in such a close relationship, we had our differences, but nothing too serious.  She was a special friend.  I loved her.
    Remembering  Billie Chiles-Turner  by Mary Sanders-Anderson
Billie Mae lived on the next street and we were close friends growing up.  We attended the same church, Decatur Street Christian and the same schools, Gordon and Humes. One of Billieís most cherished achievements was her Sunday School Perfect Attendance Record of  over 57 years.  It ended with her death.  She dearly loved getting the Humes classmates together for the class reunions.  I miss her.


My Memories of Humes and Elvis 
                            by Virginia Eddleman-Blackford

I spent my freshman year at Bellevue Junior High, my sophomore year at Tech and my junior and senior years at Humes.  As I walked the halls of Humes, everyone was always friendly.  Gene Gann and I would have put-down teasing conversations.  It was fun!   I was quite a talker so I had lots of good conversations with different people.
I liked all my teachers at Humes.  I sat behind Lillian Jenne in Miss Scrivenerís history class.  When Miss Moffett, my art teacher, gave me a "B"  I asked and even pleaded with her to change it to an "A" which I thought I deserved.  She changed it.
 I had study hall with Elvis Presley (the flirt).  He would blow kisses across the room at me.  Once I thumbed my nose at him and said some smart remark back.
Everyone knows how Elvis loved "GOSPEL MUSIC."  At Ellis Auditorium, the Statesmen Quartet felt sorry for him because he couldnít afford a ticket and let him in the back door.  My brother Jerry, my sister Darlene and I were called  "The Eddleman Trio".   We started singing acappella at ages 7, 8 and 11.  After Elvis became famous, it occurred to me that "we" were singing on the stage while Elvis was sneaking in the back door.  He later sang on the same stage at benefit concerts.
School was not one of my favorite places, although I liked my classmates.  I would talk my mother into letting me stay home by promising to clean the whole house, etc.  It worked for a while until Mr. Brindley , the principal, very nicely said, "Virginia, you have to come to school a certain number of days to be able to graduate."  I donít know how I did it, but I made the Honor Roll my whole senior year.
I lived in Lauderdale Courts during part of high school.  Starting at 16, I worked Thursday evenings and Saturdays at Kresgeís on Main Street. I will always remember my salary - $7.10 a week - which went for school supplies, etc. 
 I ran around with Carolyn Poole and Rosemary Barracco. There was  an incident that happened at Rosemaryís house. She had a male dog and a female dog in heat. She said, "Whatever you do, please keep the doors shut." I didnít, and you can guess the rest of the story.
We all went to Senior Day at Maywood and I got a really deep sunburn.  Elvis had rubbed suntan lotion on my back, but it didnít work.  I didnít get to go to my own graduation because I had to sit on pillows for 4 days.  Elvis asked me to go out, but I had to say no because of my sunburn.  Otherwise, I would have said yes. 
In the Year Book, under Last Will and Testament, section 47, it stated that Lillian Jenne and Virginia Eddleman leave because there is a law of credits that forces them to.  I sure donít know who wrote that.
I dated  service men because they seemed more mature than high school boys.  I met my husband, Bob Blackford, who was stationed at Millington Naval Station, in 1956.   Our 3 month courtship has lasted 48 years.  We tell people it seems more like 100 years.  I have lived in Peoria, Illinois, since our marriage and occasionally we fight the Civil War, because, in my heart, I am still a "Southerner." God has blessed us with a wonderful, fulfilling life.  We have 2 sons and 4 grandchildren.   Bob retired from his job as an operating engineer on heavy equipment in 1994.  
Being an Elvis classmate is very special in Peoria.  When Elvis died in 1977, my picture was on the front page of the Peoria Journal Star along with an article.  One of my sons had  called the newspaper to report we were friends in high school.  Then, on the 25th anniversary of his death, there was a huge color picture of me and another article on the front page mentioning my friendship with Elvis. They made a big deal out of Elvis rubbing suntan lotion on my back and asking me for a date.   I  have done some entertaining on radio station WMBD in Peoria.  I was billed as the only female Elvis impersonator in the world and I did a pretty good rendition of Al Jolsonís "Mammy."  I made up jingles and talked to the DJís on a regular basis.  I had a wonderful time on the radio.
I hope yaíll have enjoyed some of my stories and I want to say a special " HELLO" to Carole Kimbrell and Georgia Avgeris, from our Lauderdale Court days.  Thanks  to Rose and everyone else who  took the time to put our memories together.  As Elvis would say, "Thank you, thank you very much."
Editorís notes:  Virginia, Jerry and Darlene sang around the region for several years and even went to Nashville to sing at the "Gospel All Night Singing" at the Ryman Auditorium, where the Grand Ole Opry was performed.  She is a local personality in Peoria because of her wit and her performances on WMBD.  She and Bob are active in their community.  She continues to have an interest in gospel music.  Virginia, Jerry and her cousin Judy sing at all the family gatherings.  When Darlene died, they sang "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" at her funeral and there wasnít a dry eye in the house.  Virginia is still a good "talker."



Humes Memories of  Peggy Fiance-Henry

It has been a long time, as each of you know,  and I have had to really work hard at thinking back to recall the bits and pieces below:
Looking back to 1948, the year I first attended Humes , my fear of going to a new school is so clear.  The "big" kids were graduating from HIGH SCHOOL and I was a lowly 7th grader.   In the 8th grade, my stepfather became ill and never returned to health.  It left Mom to take care of my three brothers, my sister and me.  I was fortunate enough to find an after school job that year.  The following four years I
worked at a local movie theater selling tickets.  We moved to the Lamar Terrace Housing Project and I rode the bus across town to Humes and my job.  I also worked in the school lunchroom everyday.  I was a busy girl.  My job at the theater was perfect; I could do my homework between customers and even hem a dress I was making.  My employer was fine with that and very supportive.
 I have always loved to learn and enjoyed all my classes.  My teachers were  special in so many ways.  I received a great education.  I learned good work and study habits which I have used my whole life.  I learned to make all my own clothes in sewing class.  Taking Latin has helped me understand English and other languages.  Reading so much was an education in itself. 
I had great friends in school and lots of good memories.  For various reasons we went our different ways after graduation and I did not keep in touch, but I have not forgotten them.  My wish is that each of them has had a great life, as I have.
God has blessed me in so many ways.  By putting some obstacles in my way at an early age, He pushed me to grow and appreciate life.  He continues to bless me and my family.  My wonderful husband, Forrest Henry, a law enforcement career officer, has been my helpmate, my partner and my love for 44 years.   I am self-employed  with a successful business which allows me to spend time with my family.
 We have 3 daughters who have always been true blessings from God.  Our first born, Pamela, works for St. Jude Hospital in Radiology.  She has a heart of gold.  Kimberly, our second born, is married and has my  two precious grandchildren - Drew ( 8 ) and Lauren ( 4).  She is devoted to them.  We enjoy keeping them on the 2 days a week she works in her Public Relations career.  Tracy, the youngest, a self-employed Travel Director, goes all over the world, but keeps in touch regularly.  All live within 15 minutes of our home.
Itís been over 50 years since I went to Humes, but those experiences have always been a special part of my life.  I take this opportunity to say "thanks" to all of you who touched my life and helped to make me the person I am.  I feel very fortunate to be a part of the Class of Ď53.
 WHAT I REMEMBER ABOUT ELVIS  by  Peggy Fiance-Henry
 Tommy Young took me down to WHBQ to Dewey Phillipsí broadcast, "Red, Hot and Blue."  Elvis was in one of the sound rooms; George Klein and Tommy were helping Dewey.  I was just there. Tommy told Dewey  I was a little church-going girl and to watch his language while I was there and he did.  I understand that was not normal.  Thanks, Tommy.
I took my younger sister and 2 brothers downtown to either the Loewís Palace or Loewís State one time early in Elvisí career.  Elvis came to see the movie.  He sneaked in one of the exit doors with a bunch of guys after the movie started so he wouldnít be mobbed by fans.  When they were finding seats, my little sister looked up, recognized him and yelled, "Itís Elvis!"  No movie that day for Elvis or his friends.  They left quickly.
My husbandís cousin, Carolyn, was a good friend to Elvis and Priscilla.  She came by one day to show me the doll house she had for Lisa Marie.  It would be her first doll house and she was taking it over to Graceland that night.
My daughter, Pam, had bought tickets for Elvisí concert in Memphis.  He died before the concert.  She has kept the tickets along with my Ď53 Annual which Elvis signed.  We have had so many calls to buy it, but she has opted to keep that "book".
No matter where I  travel, when people find out that Iím from Memphis, they ask about Elvis.  One time while attending a church in Paris, France, we were invited to attend a luncheon after the services.  The pastor spoke English, but most of the congregation did not.  Some Cameroons from Africa, who had a leading restaurant in the city, were catering the meal that day.  The visitors were called up front and asked us to say a few words which the pastor would translate.   When they discovered I was from Memphis and Elvis went to my school, the questions, which I could not understand, were flying.  The Cameroon lady, who owned the restaurant, hugged me telling me in broken English how much she loved Elvis.  It was the same anywhere and everywhere I traveled.  MEMPHIS---ELVIS.
At the time of Elvisí death, my husband was a plains clothes Detective for the Memphis Police Department.  He and a number of uniformed policemen were assigned to Graceland to provide extra security until the funeral and even after Elvis was buried because of threats and rumors about stealing the body.   Elvis was later moved to his final resting place at Graceland.
 Elvis did a lot of good things for a lot of people, but was caught up in a world hard to live in normally.  He had a good Christian background, but a difficult road to travel because of his fame.



Memories of Humes by Arma Jean Hewlett-Perry

My first memories of Humes begin with my big sister, Mary Ann.  She was a majorette with the band, so we went to all the football games.  The Central game was so packed that I had to sit on the steps; it was great!  We went to all the parades, too.  There was a guy in the band who played a huge drum while he was turning around and marching to the music.  He really jazzed it up.  I loved it!
I was in the 9th grade when I started to Humes.  I was one of the Guthrie bunch, but I was the only one in the group that was in Miss Fullerís homeroom.  It was scary.
Two of my favorite teachers were Mr. Jones and Miss Moss.  I had a lot of fun in Mr. Jones class.  Miss Moss was very good at teaching American History.  She put it in story form with a southern slant.  I enjoyed learning from her.
Mary (Bug) Sanders wrote about how safe it was to save our seats in the lunchroom with our purses and books.  Of course, there was no money in our purses anyway. After lunch we went outside on the front steps and lawn to visit with everybody.
I ran around  with Renee Warmack, Betty Diepholz and Bonnie Sexton.  I lived close to Renee and would walk to her house where Bobby Perry would come by and pick us up in his car and take us to school.  I made many other friends at Humes and it has been  good to hear about some of them I havenít seen since school.    
Betty Diepholz, Joan Liberto, Nona Bass and I were on the Y-Teen basketball team; WE HAD SO MUCH FUN!  Betty said we never lost a game.  Thatís our story and we are sticking to it.  James (Punky) Franz was our coach, poor thing.  Let me  re-phrase that - he tired to coach us.  He was a big help.  I think he enjoyed it, too.
About Elvis:   I didnít know him very well.  I do remember "THE VARIETY SHOW. "  I could not believe what a beautiful voice he had.   If I mention I went to school with Elvis, it is like instant credibility.  They want to know every thing I remember about Elvis. That doesnít take long.
I married Duane Perry, a Messick grad, in 1957.  We were married for 46 years before he died last year. We had 5 children. We lost a son when he was 3 and a daughter when she was 5.  I have lived in Memphis all my life, along with most of my family.   I ran into Ken and Ann Hearn in Freeport, Maine one year.  Whatís the odds of that happening?  I have really enjoyed reading  the memories of all the classmates who are participating in the book.   Thanks, Rose, for helping us put it all together.  I t will be something our kids and grandkids can enjoy.


 Humes Memories of Billie Ann Banks-Pilalas

Itís interesting when someone asks you to write about your memories, how blank your mind can go.  Thatís what happened to me when Rose Howell tracked me down and asked me to write something for our Humes Class of Ď53 memories book.
Then, I let my mind wander and I recalled meeting Esther Crook, Gloria Trout and Jimmy Music at Leroy Pope Grammar School and  Doris Jean McDowell, Billie Mae Chiles, Bennie Barnes and Davie Lee Lawrence at Gordon Elementary when I transferred there in the 5th grade.  Iíd already met Louise Carlson, who lived on the same street in my new neighborhood, and we became fast friends.  I would cross paths with these same people many times in high school.
Speaking of Jimmy Music, Iíll bet that not many of you know his first aspirations were to be a barber.  And, I can attest to that since he cut my hair in the 2nd grade. Believe you me, my mother was not pleased.
As those memories came forth then the "good times" began to roll.  The football games that Louise, Peggy Patterson and I walked to and from, crowding into the Dairy Bar afterward, attending the male beauty shows and the talent shows - they were a blast.  Or going to the movies at the Rialto and stopping in at Bankmonís.
Other memories came forth of trying to get into my locker only to discover that Guthrie Anderson and Davie Lee Lawrence had changed my lock to someoneís on another floor.  Or, of being locked in a locker in the Annex and left - luckily the janitor heard my screams.  Those boys had a thing for lockers!
I thought of when the English class read MacBeth.  Miss Jennie Allensworth assigned the part of Macbeth to Elvis Presley, who promptly said, "Aw, Miss Jenny, you know I canít read."  Of course you know who was assigned Lady MacBeth, not only was I embarrassed about the part, but the words I had to read.  Nevertheless we both survived it.  Apparently Elvis was much better in his role than I was.
There was another memory about Elvis about ten years after graduation.  I had taken a group of junior cheerleaders, which included my sister Donna, to Graceland.  Elvis came out on the porch and greeted us and the cheerleaders did their "Elvis shake" (the old Humes High shake) for him.  I had my annual with me and he asked to borrow it for a while and when he returned it, he had written "To Billie Ann, Many Thanks, from Elvis Presley"  I never tell what he was thanking me for when asked.  I just smile coyly.
I remember Mrs. Conyers, our Home Economics teacher, loved to tell the class that my great-grandfather (a Methodist minister) married her.  Since she left out the part about him performing the ceremony, everyone assumed we were related.
I can never forget the gabfests and slumber parties that Shirley Morgan, Shirley Vaughn, Shirley Tischer, Shirley Babb and I had.  We talked about everything and everybody.  The 4 Shirleys and I had a wonderful time together.
So many memories, so much fun, too much to crowd into a few words.  Hey Gang!  Canít wait to see you all again!
Editorís notes:  Billie married Philip Pilalas in April, 1955. They were divorced in 1975.  Philip died in 1984. They had 3 daughters and one son.  One daughter died at the age of 9.  Billie has 10 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.  She retired in 1998  from the University of Tennessee as the Senior Administrative Services Assistant in the Department of Radiology.  She moved to Hardy, AR and built a home across from the lake close to her sister and 2 daughters.



Humes Memories of Betty Diepholz-Loveless

I have worked for Judge Kenneth Turner at the Juvenile Court for 40 years.  I know what gangs are.  But when I was going to school, they were very different.  I have to begin with the Guthrie School gang.  They were a force for good in my life.
 My dad worked at Humko and my mom was the CEO of a major household - ours.  I was the middle child of 5 daughters - Joyce, Janet, Betty (me), Mitzi and Dorothy.  We lived in the Hollywood area until I was in the 2nd grade.  When we moved to North Memphis on North Dunlap, I became a student at Guthrie  for 7 years.
Those were wonderful years filled with good memories and good friends.  Arma Jean Hewlett and I are still best friends.  Mr. Brindley was the principal and Miss Frances Moss taught me in the 2nd and 3rd grade.  I learned to love reading and developed good work habits.  Other special teachers were Hattie Bobo Bius and Gertrude Scrivener.  Graduation Day was memorable with girls in white dresses and boys with shirts and ties.  I still remember standing on the front steps for our class picture.  The Guthrie gang was ready to move up to the big school.
When we got to Humes  and discovered that Mr. Brindley and Miss Moss had been transferred there, we were all elated.  I didnít have many classes with Arma Jean or Renee Warmack, my best buddies at Guthrie; but I met Bonnie Sexton and life was good again.  Bonnie and I became good friends and shared a locker for 4 years.
Many new friends came along - Joan Liberto, Billie Chiles, Martha Woodward, Betty Chipman, Nona Bass and so many others.  Humes was a wonderful place.
I didnít think I learned much about cooking and sewing from Mrs. Conyers and Miss Frances Kennedy, until much later, when I discovered I could sew, and over the years have made many garments for myself and others.  I still have the apron I had to make in Mrs. Conyers class.
The 10th and 11th grade came and went so fast with so many activities - working on the school paper, student council, Y Teens,  coaching girlís basketball at Dave Wells Community Center, playing basketball and softball, hanging out at lunchtime in front of the school, such fun filled days.  I took the usual business courses, but I wanted to take drafting and woodshop - BAM! The barrier went up - no girls allowed.  I remember they let some football players take cooking classes.  No fair!
I usually spent my study hall time in the library where I learned about current events and how to scan a newspaper for major items.  The librarian, Miss Gwaltney was so strict -seldom smiled - but again, I was encouraged to read, read, read.
 I had been playing basketball since 7th grade at Dave Wells Community Center and  wanted to play on a team.  Schools did not sponsor any girls sports.  Miss Mildred Scrivener changed all that.  She was the sponsor for the Y Teen Club and she allowed us to have a Y Teen basketball team.  James "Punky" Frans was our coach - and a good one - we never lost a game in the 4 years we played.  Miss Scrivener came to every game and watched every move we made.  At one game Punky benched me for "hot dogging" and she quietly told him to put me back in - he did.
Arma Jean, Joan, Nona and Relda Alpuente and others were all great team mates.
We had many other Y Teen adventures with Miss Scrivener.  I  went to Y Teen camp ( I sold or ate the most potato chips at our fundraiser), first as a camper and then as a junior counselor.  She taught us to include everyone and treat everyone fairly.  She truly was a special lady.
I continued my fast pace in the 12th grade , adding the Honor Society, working in the school office, slumber parties and the Senior Prom to my long list of activities.  The clock was running down - soon we would all be going our separate ways. We had spent 10 or 12 years with these special friends.  What would the future hold?
I worked all during high school as a PBX operator at the Tennessee and Adler Hotels.  My mother taught all the sisters how to use a switchboard.  Joan Libertoís mother worked at the telephone company and she got us Saturday morning jobs working the switchboards at downtown offices.  We would meet at Lowensteinís Department Store for lunch and then window shop and sometimes  go to a movie.
I was President of the History Club in Miss Scrivenerís 12th grade class.  She assigned me the task of getting Elvis to sing at our class party at  Overton Park. He did and we all enjoyed the party and the singing.  A few of us, including Elvis, climbed into L.D. Ledbetterís car and went downtown to enjoy the Cotton Carnival.  We rode the rides and  hung out on the steps of the downtown library to listen to Elvis sing again.  This attracted a crowd - the police came along and dispersed  the crowd and we went home.  Later, when we were signing yearbooks, we laughed about that night.  Elvis wrote in my book "Remember Me - Elvis." Ironic that we all remember Elvis.
Dave Wells and Guthrie Park provided many hours of wonderful adventures all during  my school days: a wading pool, basketball, pool, ping pong, canteen with juke box, softball, paddle tennis, gymnastics, ballet, tap dancing, occasional roller skating and sock dances - such good clean fun, all free.  The boys always had 1st priority on the basketball courts on Saturday.  Times have certainly changed.
After graduation, I worked at a freight line, married  Bill Loveless, moved around some before returning permanently to Memphis.  I did manage to attend Memphis State for a couple of years.  I have a son, Warner Keith and daughter-in-law, Carla Rene and two grandchildren, Courtney Rene and Corbin Alexander.  I pray that my family will look back on their early years and have the wonderful memories that I have.  I enjoy my job at the Juvenile Court.  I love getting together at our class reunions and other occasions with good friends.  Life is good.



Greetings from Carol Waldrip-Anguish

I would like to say hello to all my classmates from Humes.  I remember those wonderful days; especially all the good times I had with Bobbie Horne and  other friends.   I really enjoyed dating Luther Nall and Jimmy Music.  They were both super guys.
When I  married David Anquish,  he took me off to Hawaii for 3 years while he served  in the Navy.  I  am now a widow with two sons.  
 I took care of my Mom until she died this year.  I am now sick myself and do not feel like writing my memories; but I did want to say that I remember you all with fondness.  God bless you.


Humes Memories of Tommy Young

I really had a wonderful time at Humes High School.  Most of the classmates who have written their memories have covered much of what I remember. The thing that is hard to believe is the number of classmates who have passed away.  It  shows us that we are just passing through this life and we need to make every day count.   The longer I live the more I realize how great our class was, and is.
After Humes - I went to college for three years.  I was fortunate enough to run around with Dewey Phillips, D.J. at  WHBQ Radio & TVís Red, Hot and Blue for several years and then traveled with Elvis, until he went into the Army.  It was one of the best times in my life.
I worked for the Memphis Light, Gas and Water Division for 42 years, retiring as Chief of Operations of Data Processing.  For the past 5 years  I have been working part time at Graceland, driving a shuttle bus.  It was just like going back home.  I am having the time of my life.
My wife (Marian) and I have been married over 30 years and have 2 sons, 9 grandkids and two great-grandkids.  I am a happy man.



Humes Memories  from Joan Liberto-Martin

Unlike most of my dear friends from Humes,  I did not go to Guthrie, Gordon or any of the other public grammar schools.  We lived near Lauderdale Courts and I attended St. Maryís Catholic School.  I started to Humes in the 7th Grade.   My family moved to McLean Street and I rode to school with Miss Frances Kennedy, my home economics teacher.  She is still alive and still my favorite teacher. 
I loved every minute of my years at Humes.  I had a good time the whole 6 years.  I enjoyed being a cheer leader and I caught a wonderful football player (Johnny Martin) and married him!  I was in the Y-Teens and played on the basketball team.  Iím not bragging, but we were good.  We never lost a game.   Punky Frans  was an excellent coach.
One of my favorite activities was singing in the Humes Glee Club. I loved to sing then and I still love to sing in the choir at Broadmoor Baptist Church.
Johnny and I have 3 children and 6 grandchildren.  I worked at Sears for 25 years and retired.  I enjoy my family and keep 3 of my grandchildren while their parents work.   I love to be with my grandkids; they are so wonderful.
We look forward to the reunions and any other activity that gets us together with our old classmates and friends.    We have been very blessed with friends.
I do love Dear Ole Humes.


Greetings from George Klein, President of the Senior Class of 1953

My years at Humes were the golden years of my life.  Being elected president of the Senior Class was a great honor I still cherish.  Miss Lochrie, the speech teacher, put me on the road to my dream.  My experiences as editor of the Humes newspaper and yearbook helped me immensely.  Working in the radio booth at WHHM at Humes football games got my foot in the door for my radio career.  I could almost write a short book on my life at Humes. 
Whenever I see Coach Boyceís wife, I think of Coach Boyce and all those glory days in football.   I often see Tommy Young and L.D. Ledbetter and we flashback to our good old days at Humes.   I return to my old neighborhood from time to time when I am filming some footage on Elvis - last time was 2 summers ago for Belgium TV.  Itís so sad to see the area run down, but the old school is still standing and we must keep it there for historyís sake.  Rock on Humes Hi!
Editorís notes:  George has had an amazing career in radio, TV, movies and as an entertainment consultant.  His dream was to be a disc jockey.   He has far exceeded that dream.  He has been in several movies including 8 Elvis movies, appeared on national TV shows such as Geraldo, Oprah Winfrey, 48 Hours and Entertainment Tonight. He has been involved in several TV shows such as Route 66 and "Elvis: The Series".  He spent 30 years as a Memphis disc jockey, 12 years as a local TV host, 12 years as host of the "Elvis Hour" on WHBQ radio and many other local productions.   He has narrated and produced videos and other pieces for  national and international distribution.  He is well known around the world.  He has raised money for local charities for many years.  He works as a host for the Horseshoe Casino in Tunica, Mississippi.  He was selected by Billboard Magazine as the No. 1 Disc Jockey in Memphis in 2003 - still on top after 50 years. 


Remembering Humes and Elvis  By Edwin Leek

I  started to Humes in the middle of the 12th grade, shortly before the Christmas holidays.   I  wanted to graduate from Humes, because my father and mother had graduated from there.  My father was a doctor and I had been an Army brat for part of my life due to my fatherís service in World War II and beyond.   I had attended 16 schools before Humes; so coming to a new school didnít bother me much.  I am sorry that I was not around long enough to get to know more of my classmates, but I did find some new friends.  My closest friends were Elvis Presley, Albert Teague, Bill Clenney and Charles Manspeaker.  I enjoyed my time there and the friends I made.
After I graduated, I attended Memphis State and UT to take my pre-med courses.  Although becoming a doctor was my parents and grandparents idea, it was not mine.  As soon as I had enough chemistry to get a job, I went to work at a coated fabric place and put my first paycheck down on a small airplane in West Memphis, Arkansas.  I eventually earned the necessary ratings and achieved a position with a scheduled airline as a First Officer.  I made Captain 5 years later flying out of Chicago with Ozark Airlines, which later merged into TWA and finally, American.
I retired early in 1988, as I did not like the merger treatments.  Thirty years and 24,000 hours flying commercial airplanes should be sufficient for a lifetime.
Since retirement, I have been showing my wife of 47 years the world, having taken her to 71 countries and all 7 continents, so far.  (Free or highly discounted air travel sure helps.)  We lived in Key Largo, Florida for 33 years (I commuted to Chicago and St. Louis when I was flying).  During the past few months we have put the Key Largo house up for sale and moved 200 miles into the middle of the state between Sarasota and Vero Beach to get farther away from the threat of possible hurricanes.  We have been in the eyes of 3 hurricanes since that time!  The Keys got very little damage from any of the storms, so I suppose one just canít win sometimes.  We also have a winter home in the mountains of Costa Rica that may be sold soon, as travel is not so much fun any more with the new restrictions at airports (unless you wish to travel nude and without luggage).
My Elvis Stories:   I gave Elvis  $4.00 to make his  first Dub at Sam Phillipís Sun Records.  It took him two months to get up the courage to do it.  My idea was to make the record and knock on radio station doors to get it played and hopefully find him a singing job.  Elvis was very unsure of himself in the early days of his career.  I had a good time traveling, double dating, etc.  with him until he went into the Army.  He would call me to ďround upĒ the bunch (about 16 total) to come to where ever he was to perform.  He was afraid there wouldnít be anyone there if we didnít come.   
He is still the only singer I listen to.   I own the original Dub along with the music rights to it.  I have allowed RCA and Disney to publish the music mainly so the fans can hear the two songs, which I felt, were very good.  The record has all the elements that later developed into his personal style.  I also still have the first commercial disk out of the labeling machine at Plastic Products on Chelsea Ave. (ThatĎs All Right and Blue Moon), which Elvis signed for me after I pulled it out of the collection box.  I sold my Humes year book; my class photo and the little pink business card Elvis gave me ( to get back stage after he began famous) some years back for unbelievable prices.  I figured they would be well cared for by Elvis collectors.  I am considering letting the commercial record and perhaps the Dub find new homes soon.  I am 70 years old and have no family except my wife to give them to.   I have enjoyed them for over 50 years, along with my memories of Elvis. 



Humes Memories of Sidney Mitchell

Looking back through my 1953 Humes Herald has brought me many happy and fun memories!  From the time I left Gordon School and went to Humes High in the 7th grade, I kept old friends and gained new ones.  A fun time (when we could find a ride) was going to the Rainbow Skating Rink with my good friend, Tommy Young and several others - Suzanne Martin, Carolyn Jones, Doris Jean McDowell, Watha Lou and Terry Johnson.
A variety of teachers influenced me and were my favorites for different reasons.   Among those were Susie Johnson, Loriece Pearce, Ed Meeks, C.C. Jones and Coach Hiltpold, who let us listen to the World Series on the radio in the Drafting class.
After graduation I attended Memphis State, sometimes riding with James Yarbrough, hoping that his car would get us there.   It usually did.
  Later I joined the U. S. Marine Corps and was sent to Paris Island boot camp.   Several training bases later, I found myself back home and stationed at Millington.  When I marched in the R.O.T.C.  at Humes I never dreamed that someday I would find myself marching down Main Street on Veterans Day in a Marine Corps uniform! 
While at Millington, I had the opportunity to introduce other Marines to Humes High, the school Elvis attended!  We went to football games, where my sister, June, was a cheerleader.  I also got reacquainted with one of her friends, Margie Billions, class of 1958.
Margie and I have been married 46 years, having lived in Memphis since I got out of the Marine Corp in 1960.  We are the proud parents of two sons; Wayne, who is with First Tennessee Bank and Michael, who is with FedEx.  Michaelís daughter (our only grandchild) Laura Kathryn, is a senior/cheerleader at Evangelical Christian School (ECS).  All of us have enjoyed looking through the annual of "Ole Humes High" together.  They were fascinated  that I was voted "The Most Ideal Boy" of the senior class.



Greetings  from Shirley Loskove-Halpert

 It was a privilege to be in the Humes Class of Ď53.  Iím still amazed when people stop me and say, "Did you really graduate with Elvis!"  Good luck to all my classmates.



Greetings from Shirley Slate-Moore

Hello to my classmates from dear ole Humes.  I have been living in Adamsville, Tennessee since 1979.  I have been married to L. D. Moore  for 41 years.  We have two sons, a daughter, 5 grandsons, 3 great-granddaughters and 7 great-grandsons.  We all live in Adamsville and love the country life.  My mother lives here too.  She is 90 and still in fair health.
We are both retired now.  I talk to Shirley Hubanks ever so often to keep up with whatís going on in Memphis and with the classmates I remember.  It has been good to get the class letters about making the book.  Best wishes to you all.  I look forward to reading our memory book.